Activities near the venue of Munich New Year’s Tango?
The Sendling Neighbourhood
The sports club Freie Turnerschaft München Süd is located in Munich-Sendling. This is a neighbourhood with residential housing covering the whole range from council housing to leafy streets with residences for the more affluent tucked away from the main roads.
Here are just a few suggestions on what to do or see around the venue in Sendling:
- At Harras (where the U-Bahn-station is), admire some art nouveau style houses built around 1900.
- Walk along the shores of the nearby river Isar to the Flaucher beergarden
- Go swimming or relax in the sauna at the public swimming pool Südbad, Valleystraße 37, 81371 München (open from 7.30 a.m.-11 p.m. – exceptions may apply on 31 Dec and 1 Jan)
- Visit Stemmerhof a small shopping centre with an old farm village atmosphere
- What the guides won’t tell you: The somewhat controversial late Minister President of Bavaria Franz-Josef Strauß used to live in Sendling with his family for many years. First in a high-rise building in Listseeweg, later in Hirsch-Gereuth-Straße, one of the more leafy roads. He grew up in the Munich neighbourhood of Schwabing, in a rear building at Schellingstr. 44.
For more suggestions
visit http://www.muenchen.de/stadtteile/sendling.html. At the top right click on international to view the information in other languages.